1 gallon of paint
1 smaller can (quart??) of a different shade
and a helpin' of elbow grease
Let it be known that I don't blog to gloat (unless I'm blogging about my daughter's bum). I blog what I do hoping to provide encouragement. So, if you're of the attitude that I blog to make others feel bad, then you're probably no friend of mine and I will now (sweetly) ask you to refrain from checking my blog. :) BUT, if you love looking at photography, if you love finding new ideas, if you love learning and crafting AND sharing then you're my kind of pal and DO stick around. I'm always drawing inspirations from others' knowledge and creativity so when I 'figure something out' I like to pass it along.
Great. It's off my chest. I feel better. Thank you. Thank you very much.
I am so upset that I didn't take a 'before' picture of this dresser bought almost 6 years ago to serve as a changing table for my son when he was a wee little one. It was an unfinished set of drawers that we painted, laid a changing pad on top and used as his dresser/changing table.
The years have taken their toll on this piece of furniture. The paint was scratched and the wooden knobs broken. But look at her now...
I started with a paint card (with the colors that go from light to dark). I picked two paint colors from the same card that were right next to each other for a monochromatic look. If you want something more contrasty you can pick color shades further apart on the card or two different colors altogether.
I lightly sanded the entire piece in about 20 minutes using my newly-inherited sander. Thanks, Dad.
I painted the whole piece using the lighter shade and a roller brush. Once it was completely dry, I used painters' tape to tape off the center 6 inch stripe down the length of the drawers. I then used the darker color to paint within the pieces of tape.
After the paint dried completely, I used a piece of brown paper bag to lightly sand any bumps created by the paint. I sprayed a couple of coats of polyurethane on the dresser, let it dry, sanded and done with the paint.
I purchased the knobs at Lowe's for $1.37 and replaced the broken wooden knobs for a more custom look.
It was SO easy and only took a few hours. I was ready to get rid of this dresser, but for about 30 bucks she cleaned up quite nicely.
Now, I'm looking for things to paint around my home. My legs are looking a little ghostly these days. Wish I could brush on a coat of 'tan'.